Sunday, June 26, 2011

Can't wait!

The countdown has started!  -------------------------------------->

Yesterday, the Pettinicchis invited us over for dinner so that our families could meet and talk about logistics for the trip. Mrs. Pettinicchi definitely makes the best Italian food, because I ate everything on my plate, and just ask my friends--that means a lot.

We discussed all the stuff we would need for the trip and my family let the Pettinicchis know all about Vietnam. And I don't know--I got so much more excited. I mean, I knew we were going to Vietnam, but it seemed so far away, so I had the notion tucked away in my mind. Now, I can't wait.

It's going to be different, I know. Better or worse--that I don't know. I'm a bit afraid that the Vietnam that I have in my mind right now will not be the real one that we'll see. 

Regardless, I am looking forward to two things: the food and shopping. Here they are! Mind you, I might be more excited than I'm supposed to be :)

Food
THE FOOD! Thinking about all the exotic fruit that we'll definitely eat makes me drool. Even though I might be allergic to some, I'll still eat a lot. So what? I'll have my Benedryl with me.

Mangosteen, or măng cụt, is a unique fruit found in Southeast Asia that has a hard purple outer layer but a inner layer which contains juicy and sweet white segments inside. They are literally to die for! But I'll be sure to be careful, since last time my sister ate it (it's her favorite), she lost her voice.Though that was great for the family ;), it won't be good when it happens to me!

Rambutan, or chôm chôm, has a skin that is tough, thick and hairy, but its 'meat' is transparent white and tender, and has a cool sweet taste in the mouth. When I was little, I thought they looked scary, but then again, I thought everything foreign looked scary :)

 Longan, or long nhãn, is a tree that produces small ball-shaped fruit. It's also known as 'dragon eye' because inside each fruit is a black seed and so, with the white succulent layer surrounding it, it looks like an eye! It's my favorite fruit. I remember there was a tree in my mom's backyard; hopefully it's still alive!

http://img.tintuc.vietgiaitri.com/2010/1/5/VietGiaiTri.Com-204d886f.gif 
Shopping
I will be broke by the time I come back from Vietnam, I accept that. But my money will be well spent. I remember going to small markets that sell counterfeit items. Bootleg movies, 'name brand' bags and clothes and jewelry. I know not to buy too expensive things, but I want the freedom to buy whatever I feel like. I want things that are specific to Vietnam and can only be found in the country. I have to keep that in mind, because I usually buy things that are pretty...and also useless to my life! My mother said to bring about 500 in dollars, yet I think that's too little. With my Spain trip, I spent...way more than that! 

The money in Vietnam is different. It's called đồng and has been the currency for Vietnam since 1978. Right now, the exchange rate is: 1 Dollar = 20,540 Dong. Weird huh?

http://bizvietnam.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/vietnam-dong.jpg 
The money is not mine, by the way! 

No comments:

Post a Comment